We had a great time and I was feeling comfortable. We got to bed around midnight. I laid in bed just staring at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep so I decided to get up for a minute. As soon as I shifted my weight to get out of bed I felt a stream of liquid escape. It was such a slow leak I thought that I may have accidentally peed but I soon realized that my water had broken. I woke Bob up and we left for the hospital.
We got to the hospital a little before 3:00 a.m. My contractions were about four minutes apart but still not too intense. I was dilated to a 3, 90% effaced, and her head was down very low. Because my water had broken I anticipated things would go by pretty quickly. HOW WRONG I WAS!!!! By 11:00 a.m. I was only dilated to a 4 and my contractions had spread out. My midwife realized that my amnion had broken but the Chorion hadn't. She broke my water completely and then we expected the pace to pick up. WRONG AGAIN!!! Since my contractions were getting more and more irregular it was decided that we should start some pitocin to get them going in a steady pattern. The goal was to get them 2-3 minutes apart. We started at a really low dose of 2ml/hour. By 2:00 p.m. we had increased the dose to 10 ml/hour but things still were not progressing at a reasonable pace. I was completely effaced, at 0 station, but only dilated to a 5. Fast forward to 8:00 p.m. The pitocin is now at 16ml/hour. My contractions are super intense. I've been in labor since noon the day before and have not slept at all. I had hit the wall. I asked my midwife to check me again. I told myself that if I was at the point of transition that I would keep going with things unmedicated. When she told me I was only dilated to a 7 I was done. I went into a different mode. I told them to stop my pitocin drip and get the anesthesiologist ASAP. My contractions were so intense now that I could barely think clearly. I looked forward to the relief of the epidural. The dr was great. The epidural was in place 15 minutes after I had requested it. My right side went numb instantly . . . my left side did not. The nurses turned me onto my left side to get the medicine flowing to that part of my body. Finally, after having the epidural in me for an hour and increasing the dose three times, my left side went numb. I felt the best relief EVER!!!!! I dozed off to sleep and was pleasantly awaken at 10:30 p.m.. Finally it was time to push!!!!! It only took 20 minutes of pushing and she was born. Her arm was wrapped around her neck and as soon as her head was pushed out she pushed her arm out as well. This caused me to tear . . . in three places. But after that her whole body just slipped out. They put her on me right away. I was so happy!!! All that work was completely worth it!! They cleaned her up and then I nursed her. She latched on like a pro and ate for about 30 minutes. She was so alert. Just staring at Bob and me while she ate.
Overall I would say things went well. Sure it took a long time but through the whole labor her heartbeat was strong and she did not show any signs of stress. I'm so grateful to have had such a healthy pregnancy. Hopefully my recovery will be much faster than my labor!! :)
11 comments:
Ahhhhhh I love reading labor/pregnancy/delivery stories, thanks for sharing Mish!!!! Congratulations to you guys! Take care of yourself Michelle, take it easy and recovery will come.
Yay!! Thanks for all the great details! I'm so happy everything turned out well... can't wait to see you guys and little Lira :) Congrats again!
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about your labor and the birth and happy to hear that things went smoothly, with no signs of distress :) No one really tells you about recovery and the mess of it all. I hope you jump back quickly, though. Enjoy your new little one and send those labor vibes my way!
Congrats!! YOu did it!! and she is so so beautiful!
Michelle, you are AMAZING! That's one of the most intense labor stories I've heard! I hope you're recovering well. Congratulations! Lira is beautiful.
Congrats! your labor and delivery sounds a lot like mine with Keely, only mine went a lot faster... 11 1/2 hours from when I got to the hospital. Congrats again!
Oh!! Super congrats!! I'm so happy for you guys!! I bet she's just beautiful!! MORE PICTURES!!
Congratulations--she's a doll. What a labor!!! Congrats on making it through all of that! I'm so happy to hear she is healthy and doing well. Hope your recovery goes well too!
That sounds like such a long labor, kudos to you for enduring it so well! I have yet to go into labor so it's still a mystery for me! I love that you said 'after only 20 minutes of pushing..." don't forget the HOURS of labor beforehand (I'm sure you won't!) Congrats to you both, you will LOVE it!
Michelle, I copied and pasted this post to Alison, including pictures! She wrote back and said congratulations on your baby. I don't know if you read her blog, but I've been pasting her letters onto it.
Hope you're having fun with little Lira. It's the perfect name!
And thanks so much for helping Danielle. You need to let me know what I owe you.
CONGRATS Shelly!! I knew you could do it! And now, the best time of your life- being a mother! I don't think there is anything more sweet in life than to hold your little angel in your arms, watch her watching you, listening to her coo and her little noises! I love you tons and am so proud to have known you since we were way little!! Your AMAZING and I know you'll do great with everything! CONGRATS again!!!
Post a Comment