Some of her likes include being fed, being cuddled, bath time, tummy time, playing with daddy, and being rocked in the rocking chair. Some of her dislikes include being put in her crib, having socks put on her feet, and dairy. Yup, that's right. We have learned that she is lactose intolerant. That means no more dairy for me :(
Being a mother is much more rewarding, wonderful, and difficult than I ever imagined. There have been moments when everything just seems to fall apart and I can't help but cry. But then there are those moments, like when I'm rocking Lira and she just holds my gaze, that just make it all worth it.
For me, the hardest thing about being a mother has been nursing. I thought we had things down but I was very wrong. The first three weeks were the hardest. It was just so painful! Seriously, I bawled while she ate and every feeding was just torture. As if this was not frustrating enough we learned that she was not gaining any weight. Newborns are supposed to gaining 4-7 oz. a week and she was only gaining ONE! When the nurse told me how much she had gained I just wanted to die! Here I was, torturing myself to feed her, and it wasn't enough. I felt like I was failing my little girl. All I can say is thank heaven for lactation consultants. I met with one last week and it has made ALL the difference. Now Lira will latch and feedings are not painful. I finally enjoy feeding her and she is gaining weight like a champ! She gained 10 oz. last week! It is still definitely a work in progress but things are getting better and better every day.
So, that was June. Now it is July. I'm pretty much all healed from the delivery and am used to sleeping in short spurts. I'm still learning how to be a mother, somedays are better than others. But overall I feel much more hopeful that I can do this! My baby is growing, we are all healthy and happy, and I can't help but feel incredibly blessed.
Happy one month birthday, Lira!
My sisters, Lira, and I wearing the Hello Kitty rings that were on her birthday cupcakes. Bob put hers on her little foot :D
5 comments:
Well she is just super cute!! It's great to hear that things are rolling right along for you!!
Congratulations on making it this far! I'm so sorry the nursing has been so hard--we struggled a lot with it too, and it's so frustrating! I'm glad it's finally getting easier. Hopefully things continue to go well! Sorry that Lira is lactose intolerant...that would be so hard. Good luck! You're doing great!
I'm so proud of you Michelle for your effort in nursing her! It's so hard at first, I cried and cried too, but I promise it gets sooooo much easier and there isn't any pain after a while, and when she gets a little older, you'll see how much fun it actually is to nurse. I see moms give up at about 3-4 months when that's when it really gets to be a wonderful experience after that... just wait, you'll be glad you endured! (I am!) (Also, I know how important sleep is, however, (I don't know if the lactation specialist told you like mine did + my mom who nursed 7 kids) but if you don't nurse at least twice a night you will start to decrease your milk supply- just a hint if you find yourself not having enough. Also eat tooonnzz of greens and protein... take naps during the day if you can when she does and drink plenty of water- there that's all the advice I've learned from my experience that has helped... good luck to ya!
I posted these questions on your facebook, but I thought I would try here as well. How did you find out Lira was lactose intolerant? Aubree seems to be upset a lot after we feed, cries and has a tight tummy, just seems to be in pain. What were the signs that something was bothering Lira? I just thought I would ask and maybe get another mom's input. Thanks! Hope things are going weelf or you guys :)
Hi Michelle-
Michelle-
It's nice to "meet" you! I looked at your blog too- congrats on the new baby! She is so beautiful! We've told our whole family how wonderful Melissa is- and we are so glad that she is going to be a part of our lives. Thanks for the prayers and for supporting Melissa through everything-- you must have a really amazing family, and we can't wait to meet you all!
Post a Comment